During the hot summer months, instead of blasting the Air Conditioning, you can switch to using fans for air circulation as well as keeping doors, windows, and shades closed during the day to reduce any unwanted heat from coming in. In the winter opening the blinds and drapes will let in the sunlight to warm and brighten your home.
Appliances and electronics can eat up a great deal of energy, and are often left on for long periods of time. Some appliances, such as a fridge or freezer, must be left on for the safety of the food contained within. However other appliances, such as dishwashers are a luxury item that do not need to be run if you are looking to save some money.
Make your Owen Sound home‘s appliances and electronics more energy efficient.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. About 90% of the energy used by washing machines goes to heating the water.
- Use your microwave instead of your stove when cooking to use two-thirds less energy.
- Don’t open the oven door while baking. Each time, the temperature can drop up to 13.8°C (25°F) and requires additional energy to bring it back up.
- Turn off the oven 10-15 minutes before cooking time runs out. Your food will continue to cook without using the extra electricity.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer as full as possible to operate efficiently.
- Use dishwashers and washers/dryers in off-peak hours to keep the house cooler.
- Don’t run bathroom or kitchen ventilation fans longer than necessary. They replace inside air with outside air.
- Turn on your computer, monitor, printer, and fax machine only when needed.
- Don’t leave your mobile phone plugged in overnight; it only takes a couple of hours to charge
- Avoid placing objects that give off heat (for example, lamps or TVs) near a thermostat
You can reduce your electricity bills by controlling the lighting in your Owen Sound Home. Using desktop lamps with high-efficiency light bulbs, or turning off the lights when they’re not in use, can help you to save up to 15% on your utility bill. Go even further but opening curtains, drapes, and shades during the day to let in as much natural light as possible. To avoid unnecessary lights being left on, use a photocell or a timer on your outdoor lights for dusk-to-dawn only operation.
Reducing energy consumption on Homes For Sale in Owen Sound.
Cleaning or replacing the filters in your home once a month can help to ensure your home is running smoothly. Before you list, ensure that all cracks, gaps, leaks and add insulation are sealed or patched to save up to 20% on heating and cooling costs. Potential buyers will view the home as a much safer investment. If you really want to go all out, upgrade your single pane windows to more modern ones, though this may be costly.